After you’ve started an interesting conversation with another member, you may not be able to find it in your inbox. There are a few reasons this might happen:
- We remove messages older than 30 days to keep your inbox neat and tidy.
- Sometimes we remove conversations and messages if their content goes against our rules or if a match has been busy copy and pasting multiple members.
- That member may no longer be on Plenty of Fish.
- You may have blocked the other person
- The other person may have blocked you
- The other person may have deleted their account
- The other person may be in a moderation hold
- The other person may have been banned
For privacy reasons, we cannot tell you which of these will be the case.
You can double-check your Blocked list on the privacy settings page of the full website or on the app (tap on your profile, then on Account Settings. From there, tap Privacy, then Blocked). If the person is not there, and you're not seeing the conversation, it does mean one of the other options has happened. For privacy reasons, we generally can't clarify which of the options it was.
Sometimes we put messages on hold while our admins review profiles/messages to make sure that they're being sent from a legitimate human account. We take the safety of our members very seriously and do a lot of moderation to weed out fake/scammer accounts, but unfortunately, that means that real messages get caught in our filter nets as well occasionally. When that happens, we release the messages as soon as our team determines they're legitimate; at that point. If our team does not determine that the profile/messages are legitimate, we do ban the account.